How to Use the MamaTENS for Natural Labour Pain Relief (Updated for 2023)
How to Use the MamaTENS for Natural Labour Pain Relief
Now that you’re pregnant, you may be starting to think about labour. If you’re interested in options for natural, non-invasive, drug-free labour pain relief, a TENS Machine is a great option!
The Perfect MamaTENS from TensCare is designed specifically to help you labour longer at home. Watch our video or keep reading below to learn more.
Here’s how it works:
- Placing the Electrodes: The MamaTENS comes with four electrode pads. For labour pain, place the electrodes on your lower back on either side of your spine, just below your bra strap. Included in the box is a diagram that tells you how to put the electrodes in the right spot. If you don’t have them in the correct spot right away, you can easily lift them up and move around as needed. You should be able to move them 15-20 times if needed.
- Setting Up: Before you turn the device on, you will need to plug the leads (Channel A and B) into the bottom of the device. The MamaTENS machine works on two AA batteries, so it’s a good idea to have a spare set handy (on average the batteries should last between 10-15 hours). The device also has a lanyard so you can hang it from your neck, as you’re wandering around, because this is meant to keep you mobile for as long as possible. There is also a belt clip, that you can clip to your waistband or whatever you are wearing. It slides on easily.
- Using The Machine: When you’re ready to go, you turn the machine on using the “ON” button. It starts on program A. Program A is where you would want to start at the beginning of your labour journey. If you want to test the sensation, you can try this out at 37 weeks (it is not recommended to use before 37 weeks gestation). When you’re ready, push the up arrow to start. Keep pushing until you get to a comfortable level. You can adjust the level up or down anytime as needed, and you may need to increase the stimulation as your body gets used to the sensation or your labour progresses. Each program setting A, B, and C has a boost button. During contractions, simply press the boost button to switch to a continuous signal. This will help override the pain signals to your brain and help you labour longer during the contraction.
- Program A: The first program, A, sends small bursts of neurostimulation to override the pain. It also sends endorphins to your brain. When you are ready, push the up arrow to start the stimulation. Keep pushing until you get to a comfortable level. When you’re having a contraction what you’ll do is you’ll hit the boost button. That will switch to program A2. For the early stages of your labour program A should be sufficient.
- Program B: As your labour progresses and the pain becomes a little bit more intense, what you’ll do is you’ll switch to program B. Program B sends different signals to the brain. They just are a little bit stronger, because your body needs them as the pain intensifies. When needed, press the boost button.
- Program C: When your labour intensifies and program B2 may not be working as well as it used to, then you’ll switch to program C. Program C works in a continuous pulse all the time. When you hit the boost button during your contraction, it amplifies the pain relief. Program C works the same as Program A and B but is more intense for the later stages of your labour journey.-
The Perfect MamaTENS is designed to keep you mobile longer during labour. This means you can spend more time in the comfort of your own home. The device comes with an instruction manual and a travel kit, so you can keep it stashed away in your labour bag, ready for when it’s time to go to the hospital. This device is recommended by midwives and approved by Health Canada. It’s a great tool to have in your toolkit for effective, natural labour pain relief!
Talk to your midwife about the Perfect MamaTens by TensCare.
This device is available online at: